Normally when I'm preparing dinner during the week, I do my best to keep it low-carb. I do this mainly because I like to save my indulgences for the weekend and also because it makes me feel better in general. I will admit, it does get tough to come up with different low-carb recipes on a regular basis. We tend to make some of the same things over and over, which begins to get a little boring.
I had taken some lean ground beef out of the freezer the other day and to be honest, I was not looking forward to it. I decided to do some research, (via Pinterest of course) to find something low-carb and different. I came across a recipe for spinach and cilantro meatballs that looked quick and simple, so I decided to go for it. Anything that has cilantro is a win in my book. Let's just say this recipe will be put to good use again.
I made a few minor adjustments to the original recipe found on Savory Lotus. Side note, meatballs don't win the most photogenic food award, but who likes to read recipes without pictures.
“Spinach & Cilantro Meatballs”
1 ½ pounds of lean ground beef
1 ½ cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
½ of a large onion, diced
½ teaspoon of cumin
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
Dash of black pepper
1 cup of marinara sauce for dipping
1. Preheat the oven on bake at 400
2. Place the ground beef in a mixing bowl and add the thawed spinach, cilantro, onion, egg, cumin, garlic powder and pepper and mix well.
3. Roll into individual large meatballs. I was able to get 12 out of this recipe.
4. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until meatballs begin to brown slightly and have fully cooked through.
6. Warm a cup of marinara sauce on low heat in a sauce pan.
7. Once the meatballs are done, remove from the oven, top with marinara sauce and serve.
Recipe adapted from Savory Lotus.