I've been on an appetizer kick lately. It's on of my favorite things to bring to a party. I find it rather important to have something guests can snack on while the main course is being prepared. Appetizers are like a gathering point for guests, laying the foundation for what's to come. From an extravagant cheese board, to a simple bowl of chips and dip, offering delicious little nibbles always help to complete a party.
I posted this recipe last year, but it's too good not to share again. So, in case you missed, check out this easy and delicious recipe for asparagus roll-ups. I remember my mom making these when I was younger and the thought of veggies was not appealing. One bite of these cream cheese filled rolls and my mind was changed. It's an appetizer that you don't have to feel too guilty about snacking on.
A little bit goes a long way with these.
Just a few simple steps, and you're left with the perfect bite size app!
1 loaf of bread (I used a whole grain)
1 bunch of asparagus (depending on how many you are cooking for) *1 stalk will make 4 bite size pieces
8 slices of cooked bacon
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 stick of butter
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Using a large nonstick skillet on low-medium heat, cook bacon until it’s browned enough to easily crumble.
3. While the bacon is cooking, assemble the rest of the ingredients. Using a rolling pin, flatten out each piece of bread and set aside.
4. Rinse the asparagus bunch, pat dry and cut off the ends.
5. Once the bacon has cooked, place on a paper towel to soak up the excess grease. Crumble into small pieces after it has cooled.
6. Using a food processor, add the cream cheese, 2 cups of shredded cheese (adjust to your preference), crumbled bacon, and garlic powder to taste, and mix well.
7. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on each slice of bread.
8. Place one piece of asparagus at the top of the bread and roll tightly.
9. Slice the bread into bite size pieces. I had made four rolls out of each piece of bread.
10. Once all of the rolls have been pre-sliced, soften butter and brush the tops of the rolls.
11. Place in the oven on 350 and bake until golden brown.
Note: I was making this as an appetizer for approximately 30 people and had plenty of leftovers.