This recipe is not only healthy, but also perfect to make ahead and eat during the week. It's especially nice to have breakfast on hand when my crazy mornings don't allow for cooking.
The best thing about frittatas is that pretty much anything goes. Feel free to add or take away whatever ingredients you may like. However, I must say the combination of ingredients I put together is quite tasty. I hope this will inspire you to clean out the fridge and create your own breakfast masterpiece.
Start by sautéing chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms and fresh spinach. In a separate bowl mix together egg whites, cherry tomatoes, chopped green onions and salt and pepper.
Once the spinach mixture has cooked down, pour in with the egg whites, quickly whisking. Once well mixed, pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes or until the eggs have fully cooked. Remove from the oven and top with shredded cheese. Place the dish back in the oven until the cheese has melted on top.
This refrigerates well, making great leftovers.
Egg White Frittata
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 package of fresh mushrooms (rinsed & drained)
2 cups of fresh spinach (packed)
1 ½ cups of Egg Whites
3 tablespoons of milk
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Using a large nonstick skillet on low-medium heat, sauté garlic for a minute or until fragrant.
3. Add onions and mushrooms, sautéing for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add fresh spinach to the mixture and cook until it wilts down.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, milk, salt & pepper.
6. Carefully add in the chopped green onions and cherry tomatoes to the egg white mixture.
7. Next add the sautéed mixture in with the egg whites. Mix together and pour into a greased baking dish.
8. Bake on 350 for about 40 minutes or until the egg mixture has fully cooked.
9. Once done, take the dish out of the oven and cover the top with the shredded cheese.
10. Place back in the oven until the cheese has melted.